The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

A marketplace for chronographs, dive watches and other tool-type wristwatches and timepieces

This forum is for BUYING, SELLING and TRADING only--not for discussing watches. Please limit postings to specific ads for buying, selling or trading watches, parts or accessories that that match at least one of the following categories:

Please see our ChronoTrader Policies and Terms of Use. Learn more about How To Include Photos In Your Postings.

Rules: Postings must be an ad announcing an intent to sell, buy or trade. Full item description and photo(s) must be posted within the message here, not as links to other websites. Links to online auctions and other sites: Links to online auctions, dealer sites or other listings of items are permitted, but you should be careful to ensure that such listings will comply with our other ChronoTrader Policies. In addition, we request that sellers linking to online auctions or listings offer some benefit or accomodation to ChronoTrader readers (for example, some discount or an undertaking to end an auction early, to keep a watch "in the family"). Photos must be of the actual item for sale in its present condition. No counterfeit or replica products. No post for the same item may be repeated within 7 days, except to lower the asking price. Commercial dealers are limited to three unique posts per day. [More...]

FS: Vintage 1970s Scubapro 500 Automatic Diver’s Watch

Selling part of a friend's collection with my 100% backing and here is another one of his beautiful timepieces. I am in possession of the watch and will handle the shipping; payment will go directly to him.

Up for sale is this genuine vintage Scubapro 500 automatic dive watch from the 1970s. Sold by the legendary diving equipment manufacturer, the Scubapro 500 has become an icon to vintage dive watch enthusiasts and this is a very fine and honest example with desirable automatic movement, lovely original dial & hands, unpolished case and original matte black bezel insert. Overall, this classic tool watch shows use but is in Excellent vintage condition and is keeping good time with a strong power reserve.

The asking price for this exceptional example of Scubapro 500 is $1450 USD OBRO including fully insured FedEx shipping worldwide. Bank Wire preferred but Paypal is OK on this transaction with +2% to the buyer. Payment must be made directly to my consignor in US DOLLARS. Watch will ship upon full clearance of the funds, as well as any necessary bank vetting.

CASE & BACK: Large & chunky tonneau-shaped stainless steel case measures 40mm wide across the bezel and 44mm to the crown, 46mm end to end and 15mm thick. Highly reminiscent of the Eterna KonTiki Super, the case shows its original satin finish and does have marks from use, particularly to the polished sides but I still rate it as Excellent original condition. Screw in water-resistant caseback shows slightly more superficial marks, although all external nomenclature and the Scubapro "S" is quite crisp--Very Good cosmetic condition. The back is screwed down too tightly for me to open with my hand wrench.

DIAL & HANDS: Mint condition original matte black dial with Rolex-like Tritium plots that are all intact and still glow fiercely when exposed to light. Original hour and minute hands, as well as the orange minute sweep seconds, are Near Mint with just some small signs of age to the metal and they will also glow briefly after light exposure. The Scubapro text and logo are actually still quite silver but the photos don't quite capture this.

CROWN: Original unsigned crown screws down tightly and screws out to the winding, quickset date and non-hacking time-set positions as it should.

CRYSTAL: Original high-pressure mineral crystal is very clean but does show the typical clouding one so often sees from this era--Near Mint.

BEZEL: Original chunky ratcheting unidirectional rotating elapsed time bezel is exceptionally tight with sharp, well defined knurling and moderate wear--Excellent+. The original matte black & silver inlay is also clean with only a few small scratches, likewise Excellent+ condition, and its sunken luminous "12" triangle is intact and has acquired a handsome patina.

MOVEMENT: As I said, I'm not willing to force the back open but I believe these automatic Scubapros came with the reliable and tough ETA 2874 under the hood. Service history on this watch is unknown but it is working very well and keeping good time with proper date changeover (both conventional & quickset) and that is guaranteed to be the case at the time of shipping.

STRAP: This Scubapro 500 comes on a super soft chocolate brown leather NATO strap in Near Mint condition. This watch takes straps with a 20mm lug width.

I make NO guarantees for the water resistance of this watch in any way, shape or form. Have it tested if you want to use it as a diver or for any other aquatic activities.

This great Scubapro 500 is offered with a 3-day inspection period from the date of receipt and may be returned for a full refund (less any shipping costs incurred by the buyer). This refund is unconditional and once I get the watch back in exactly the same condition as it was sent to you, your money will be refunded. Of course, once the 3 days are over the sale will be considered FINAL.

Thanks for looking,
T.
tomvox1@hotmail.com

Messages In This Thread

FS: Vintage 1970s Scubapro 500 Automatic Diver’s Watch
OHPF. Best, T.
SOLD. Best, T. nt
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE