The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

A marketplace for chronographs, dive watches and other tool-type wristwatches and timepieces

This forum is for BUYING, SELLING and TRADING only--not for discussing watches. Please limit postings to specific ads for buying, selling or trading watches, parts or accessories that that match at least one of the following categories:

Please see our ChronoTrader Policies and Terms of Use. Learn more about How To Include Photos In Your Postings.

Rules: Postings must be an ad announcing an intent to sell, buy or trade. Full item description and photo(s) must be posted within the message here, not as links to other websites. Links to online auctions and other sites: Links to online auctions, dealer sites or other listings of items are permitted, but you should be careful to ensure that such listings will comply with our other ChronoTrader Policies. In addition, we request that sellers linking to online auctions or listings offer some benefit or accomodation to ChronoTrader readers (for example, some discount or an undertaking to end an auction early, to keep a watch "in the family"). Photos must be of the actual item for sale in its present condition. No counterfeit or replica products. No post for the same item may be repeated within 7 days, except to lower the asking price. Commercial dealers are limited to three unique posts per day. [More...]

FS: 18K Chronographe Suisse w/Military & Hollywood Connectio

I've always had an interest in watches with engraved backs with some sort of event depicted, primarily military, or researchable name. I happened across this Chronographe Suisse 18k chronograph and purchased it based upon the inscription on the back. The Flying Marines 1945 inscription was interesting and I was initially thinking maybe a pilot during the war. I was surprised to find it was referencing the El Toro (Marine Base in California) Flying Marines football team which the original owner of the watch quarterbacked in 1945. These put together military teams were basically for morale during the war years and to help sell war bonds. From what I've read the quality of football played by these college kids was better than the pro teams of that era. These were really college all star teams.

It looks like the original owner played two years at the University of Southern California then did two years with the Marines before returning to USC after the war. He played both quarterback and halfback. After graduation he dropped football in order to take up an acting career even though he was drafted by the Green Bay Packers to play professional football. He did stunt work in his first couple of films and then some acting in small, uncredited, roles before getting into directing. He used his football experiences to good measure as he was the technical advisor for Burt Lancaster for the football portion of the movie Jim Thorpe and worked with many stars during his career. He worked as a director in Hollywood into the 1980's. I've attached a couple of scans from the two DVDs I acquired in which he has a part. On one scan you can see another uncredited actor (Rock Hudson) in the background. Many of his films are listed here: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0564957/

Also includes are a couple of El Toro Flying Marines programs and also a USC program. In addition, I'm also including two original Associated Press news photo's of the player and also a book by Wilbur Jones (autographed) about the role of these military football teams during WW2. All together an interesting collection.

The watch is a Chronographe Suisse w/18k case. These watches were thin and usually susceptible to dings and dents over the years, if worn regularly, and this one is no different. The original dial was badly degraded from age so I acquired a new old stock (nos) dial as a replacement. The original dial will be included with the watch. The watch was serviced and a new crystal and crown installed when the dial was replaced and it's working great and keeping accurate time for it's age. I wouldn't recommend it going near and source of moisture as these were not waterproof. The watch has a nos vintage leather strap installed. If you're into football, military, or Hollywood history this is a great piece to have. $900 obo delivered stateside. Thanks for looking.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE