The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

A marketplace for chronographs, dive watches and other tool-type wristwatches and timepieces

This forum is for BUYING, SELLING and TRADING only--not for discussing watches. Please limit postings to specific ads for buying, selling or trading watches, parts or accessories that that match at least one of the following categories:

Please see our ChronoTrader Policies and Terms of Use. Learn more about How To Include Photos In Your Postings.

Rules: Postings must be an ad announcing an intent to sell, buy or trade. Full item description and photo(s) must be posted within the message here, not as links to other websites. Links to online auctions and other sites: Links to online auctions, dealer sites or other listings of items are permitted, but you should be careful to ensure that such listings will comply with our other ChronoTrader Policies. In addition, we request that sellers linking to online auctions or listings offer some benefit or accomodation to ChronoTrader readers (for example, some discount or an undertaking to end an auction early, to keep a watch "in the family"). Photos must be of the actual item for sale in its present condition. No counterfeit or replica products. No post for the same item may be repeated within 7 days, except to lower the asking price. Commercial dealers are limited to three unique posts per day. [More...]

FS: Vintage NIVADA Antarctic Men’s COMPENSAMATIC Sub Diver

Folks,

I have relisted this vintage Nivada sub diver on Ebay. Starting bid is .99 and "Buy it Now" price is $549. I've added some information and a photo. See it at the link and enhanced description below. I will ship for free for anyone who sees the listing on Chronotrader.

Cheers,

Chris

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xnivada+compensamatic+vintage+diver.TRS0&_nkw=nivada+compensamatic+vintage+diver&_sacat=0

Vintage NIVADA Antarctic Men’s COMPENSAMATIC Automatic Sub-Diver Wrist Watch (Circa 1970)

This vintage (circa 1970), rare Nivada “Antarctic” automatic men’s sub diver wrist watch is in excellent condition and very clean for a pre-owned vintage diver.

The watch’s appearance is unmistakably retro. Its finish is similar to a brushed stainless steel and, to my knowledge, it has never been polished. The watch wears comfortably and has a solid, hefty feel on the wrist.

The watch keeps accurate time and will hold about 15 hours of stored energy.

The watch is a “compensamatic,” a type of technology that Nivada trademarked in the 1950s and used in designing watches that bore its name. You will not see this unique horological term used to describe any other watch other than Nivada/Croton.

Some history about the Antarctic diver:

In the mid fifties, Nivada celebrated the Exploration Campaign of the South Pole by launching a waterproof compensamatic automatic watch built for harsh conditions. Each member and crew of the American Navy who participated in the US Deep Freeze 1 Expedition of 1955-1956 received an Antarctic Watch. This was the birth of Nivada’s Antarctic series. The company continued making the model through the early 1970s.

Here are some additional details about this watch (all original, unless noted):

Swiss made, automatic movement w/ day (in Italian) and date
Dazzling green dial, unpolished square caseback
Two tone rotating Bakelite bezel
The stainless steel bracelet (not original) can be easily adjusted for smaller or larger wrists
Case width is 38.26 MM, not including screw-down crown
Caseback reads: Compensamatic, water and shock resistant, Automatic, stainless steel, 67085
Inside caseback reads: 4958
Movement: ETA 2789
Depth rating: Likely 20 ATM, though I am not certain.

SEE PHOTOS FOR DETAILS AND ACTUAL CONDITION. SOLD "AS IS" AND "AS PICTURED."

NOT GUARANTEED FOR WATER RESISTANCE. AS ALWAYS, DO NOT RISK TAKING A VINTAGE DIVER UNDERWATER.

I ship worldwide using UPS or FedEx.

I only accept payments via PayPal. Item will only be shipped after receipt of payment and will ship within 2 days following receipt of payment.

Note that if buyer is purchasing from outside the U.S .there may be import duties for which the buyer is responsible.

Questions are welcome.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE