The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

A marketplace for chronographs, dive watches and other tool-type wristwatches and timepieces

This forum is for BUYING, SELLING and TRADING only--not for discussing watches. Please limit postings to specific ads for buying, selling or trading watches, parts or accessories that that match at least one of the following categories:

Please see our ChronoTrader Policies and Terms of Use. Learn more about How To Include Photos In Your Postings.

Rules: Postings must be an ad announcing an intent to sell, buy or trade. Full item description and photo(s) must be posted within the message here, not as links to other websites. Links to online auctions and other sites: Links to online auctions, dealer sites or other listings of items are permitted, but you should be careful to ensure that such listings will comply with our other ChronoTrader Policies. In addition, we request that sellers linking to online auctions or listings offer some benefit or accomodation to ChronoTrader readers (for example, some discount or an undertaking to end an auction early, to keep a watch "in the family"). Photos must be of the actual item for sale in its present condition. No counterfeit or replica products. No post for the same item may be repeated within 7 days, except to lower the asking price. Commercial dealers are limited to three unique posts per day. [More...]

FSOT: Zenith A3818 - Reduced and now includes Vintage Zenith Box

Lots of interest but no sale yet. I'm assuming it's not the watch so it must be the price. Price has been reduced accordingly.

You rarely see this watch come up for sale. The Zenith A3818 reference was produced in 1971. Limited to 1,000 pieces although have some speculated that the actual number was closer to 700. The blue galvanized dial has a rich deep stunning appearance with a color that changes depending on lighting. The pictures below can speak for themselves but they do not do this watch justice.
Overall this watch is in fantastic original condition, showing some signs of age.

The original dial has developed a beautiful patina with the hour and minute hand matching perfectly.

The plexi is free from scratches and is virtually perfect.

The case has been polished at some point, but the edges are still reasonably sharp. There are wear marks which can be seen but this is to be expected with a watch that is 45 years old.

At the heart of the watch is the Legendary El Primero 3019 PHC running at 36,000 vph. Arguably the first high beat automatic chronograph movement.

Watch is running without issue, chronograph resets to zero as it should.

As I buyer I don’t like surprises, and I’m sure you don’t like surprises. So here are a few things to note:
* The crown is a Zenith replacement
* I believe the hour and minute hand are replacements, however the tritium has aged nicely to match the original dial
* I believe the hour sub dial hand is also a replacement
* There is a blemish on the dial close to the inner bezel between 1:00 and 4:00. This is noticeable under magnification
* The red paddle chronograph hand is NOS, but the tritium has not aged the same as the dial
I have access to NOS original crown and sub dial handset if buyer is interested

Here is some more info:
Movement #: 3019 PHC
Model #: A3818
Case diameter: 37mm excluding the crown, but wears much larger and is 47mm from lug to lug
Serial #: 905Dxxx
Case #: SP 1301

I’m hoping to trade this for another hard to come by watch. Here is a list of a few that I would be interested in although I will entertain all offers. Zenith A Cairelli, UG Exotic or Compax, 321 Cal Speedmaster, Early Rolex 1675 or 5513, Heuer etc.

It’s difficult to come up price on this one, as they sell so rarely. Price: $10,500 USD OBRO – Watch will come with your choice of strap from pics. Price includes PayPal and shipping within Canada and CONUS

I tried to take pictures to accurately capture the current condition of the case, dial, movement etc..

[

Now including Vintage Red Zenith Box

I have a lot of references

Thanks for looking

Z

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE