The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

A marketplace for chronographs, dive watches and other tool-type wristwatches and timepieces

This forum is for BUYING, SELLING and TRADING only--not for discussing watches. Please limit postings to specific ads for buying, selling or trading watches, parts or accessories that that match at least one of the following categories:

Please see our ChronoTrader Policies and Terms of Use. Learn more about How To Include Photos In Your Postings.

Rules: Postings must be an ad announcing an intent to sell, buy or trade. Full item description and photo(s) must be posted within the message here, not as links to other websites. Links to online auctions and other sites: Links to online auctions, dealer sites or other listings of items are permitted, but you should be careful to ensure that such listings will comply with our other ChronoTrader Policies. In addition, we request that sellers linking to online auctions or listings offer some benefit or accomodation to ChronoTrader readers (for example, some discount or an undertaking to end an auction early, to keep a watch "in the family"). Photos must be of the actual item for sale in its present condition. No counterfeit or replica products. No post for the same item may be repeated within 7 days, except to lower the asking price. Commercial dealers are limited to three unique posts per day. [More...]

Re: Guilty as Charged . . .
In Response To: Guilty as Charged . . . ()

Traffic is up, listings are up and so are the scammers, I don't participate in all the fora that are out there
but out of the handful I subscribe to I have to say that scammers seem to like this forum more than the others.

I don't want to say or even suggest that this is a direct consequence to the "make me an offer" posts, but certainly
in a place like this where there are maybe less rules and restrictions than in other places, one needs to be a little
more careful.

To be perfectly honest I am not aware of any other fora that allows For Sale adverts without a sale price, and from
what you have outlined so far, I really do not see the value of a sales tool like the a.m. adverts, at least for the buyers.

I think even a child understands how the sellers can benefit from this, but is it of any value for the whole of the community?

Now if your answer, as it appears to be, is: the Forum is mine, I make the rules, then we don't even need to have this discussion,
one participates, or not, end of story, but when I look at this thread I get the feeling that nobody would really miss this type
of sales posts if they were to be done away with.

Guilty as charged, more or less . . . but I'm still not sure why
: I need to pay eBay or auction house fees, when they provide very
: little protection to the buyers. With all due humility, I will
: rely on my own reputation for integrity / visibility, rather
: than paying a third party to provide comfort or provenance
: (charging high fees all along the way). Shown below is the
: Autavia that Auctionata sold a few weeks ago at 62,000 euro . .
: . what did this auction house provide to the buyer, other than
: an $5,000 to $10,000 batch of parts for the next project
: watches?

: I am happy to provide this Chronotrader platform for those who
: might like to use it. I am happy to entertain suggestions as to
: how we might improve it. [And, yes, we are working on some ways
: to rid the place of the scammers.]

: Listings are up; traffic is up; I believe that satisfaction is good
: . . . so I'm not sure that we need to eliminate the "best
: offer" or informal auctions.

: Jeff

:
:

: ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE