The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

A marketplace for chronographs, dive watches and other tool-type wristwatches and timepieces

This forum is for BUYING, SELLING and TRADING only--not for discussing watches. Please limit postings to specific ads for buying, selling or trading watches, parts or accessories that that match at least one of the following categories:

Please see our ChronoTrader Policies and Terms of Use. Learn more about How To Include Photos In Your Postings.

Rules: Postings must be an ad announcing an intent to sell, buy or trade. Full item description and photo(s) must be posted within the message here, not as links to other websites. Links to online auctions and other sites: Links to online auctions, dealer sites or other listings of items are permitted, but you should be careful to ensure that such listings will comply with our other ChronoTrader Policies. In addition, we request that sellers linking to online auctions or listings offer some benefit or accomodation to ChronoTrader readers (for example, some discount or an undertaking to end an auction early, to keep a watch "in the family"). Photos must be of the actual item for sale in its present condition. No counterfeit or replica products. No post for the same item may be repeated within 7 days, except to lower the asking price. Commercial dealers are limited to three unique posts per day. [More...]

FS: 1965 UG Compax 'Evil Nina'

Up for private sale is my 1965 Universal Compax ‘Evil Nina’ manual wind stainless steel chronograph.

To my eye this is in a good, worn, attractive condition, full of ‘wabi sabi’ character.

Under extreme loupe scrutiny there are tiny losses of finish on the dial near 3 o’clock, and 8 o’clock, but I cannot see these with a 6x LoupeSystem loupe, and with the naked eye, enjoying the watch on the wrist, I think the dial looks crisp, good.

The hands show some wear, as does the case. Tachymetre bezel is quite scratched and worn. Again, a matter of taste – I think the wear looks relatively even, the mid-charcoal fade offering a nice vintage patina.

Time and chronograph functions are running on the signed UG85 (Valjoux 72) movement. My watchmaker inspected the movement and advised against having it serviced as he thought it was running fine. He cleaned the crystal for me and put in a new rear rubber gasket on the back. My watchmaker also noted a small hole in the movement from a previous repair/service. I hadn’t noticed this, but since he pointed it out I am passing on this info to you.

Included in the sale is an Extract from the Archives from Universal Geneve, acquired by the previous owner – case number 885xxx/01, serial number 2,411,xxx. Manufactured 1965.

Okay, I’m trying to be as fair and open about this watch as I can. I’d hate to over-sell it. Having listed the conditions I can think of, I would like to conclude by saying that I think this is a very sweet looking, sweet wearing vintage watch (Watch is 36mm excluding the crown. My wrist is 185mm / 7.25”). The UG combination of sportiness and elegance here is superb. I m selling because I have other collecting targets right now and need the funds for those.

If you are in Hong Kong you are welcome to arrange with me to view the watch in person. Also, I am travelling to Germany on business next week, and could meet in the Frankfurt International (FRA) Airport the morning of Thursday 15th November if that helps (or could ship to within the EU from there).

Price is 17,500 Euros.

Thanks for looking, and thank you to the mods for the space here.

Messages In This Thread

FS: 1965 UG Compax 'Evil Nina'
Re: FS: 1965 UG Compax 'Evil Nina'
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE