The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

A marketplace for chronographs, dive watches and other tool-type wristwatches and timepieces

This forum is for BUYING, SELLING and TRADING only--not for discussing watches. Please limit postings to specific ads for buying, selling or trading watches, parts or accessories that that match at least one of the following categories:

Please see our ChronoTrader Policies and Terms of Use. Learn more about How To Include Photos In Your Postings.

Rules: Postings must be an ad announcing an intent to sell, buy or trade. Full item description and photo(s) must be posted within the message here, not as links to other websites. Links to online auctions and other sites: Links to online auctions, dealer sites or other listings of items are permitted, but you should be careful to ensure that such listings will comply with our other ChronoTrader Policies. In addition, we request that sellers linking to online auctions or listings offer some benefit or accomodation to ChronoTrader readers (for example, some discount or an undertaking to end an auction early, to keep a watch "in the family"). Photos must be of the actual item for sale in its present condition. No counterfeit or replica products. No post for the same item may be repeated within 7 days, except to lower the asking price. Commercial dealers are limited to three unique posts per day. [More...]

FS: EXCELLENT Autavia 2446 RINDT / JACK HEUER Letters

Hello OTD,

As much as it annoys me, I have not been wearing this as I actually have been a little scared of damaging it with it's awesome backstory. The funds will become an old 911 project car, so I hope you guys at least approve of the direction I am going!

Some of you will have seen the write-up and listing on Hodinkee. It was under consignment and unfortunately I think they priced it too high and did not "push" it as hoped. It is no longer with them and is back in my hands.

This is a remarkable Rindt due to it's condition but equally the story and letters that accompany it. I got to know the original owner quite well a number of years ago after he posted that he might have "an old Autavia from the 60's for sale, with some letters." As you can imagine, I almost lost my mind when I realized arguments that he essentially had with Heuer about his watch not working resulted in a brilliant letter from Jack Heuer - it was in reply to him saying that Heuer "Stinks". If you purchase the watch, we should talk on the phone and I'll give you the whole story and process of buying it, it was great fun.

Photography and Hodinkee article are https://shop.hodinkee.com/blogs/journal/wotw-1966-heuer-autavia-jochen-rindt-letter-signed-by-jack-heuer

The watch went to Abel and received a full service. The central seconds hand was incorrect, courtesy of the many trips to Tag service department, it was corrected to one from a 2446c.

Establishing the value that these letters add is obviously a dark art, but I am looking at offers around $33k USD shipped and insured. I have plenty of references as needed and will not make this a complicated sale - I am hoping you will do the same. Many thanks to OTD for a great space.

Messages In This Thread

FS: EXCELLENT Autavia 2446 RINDT / JACK HEUER Letters
Re: FS: EXCELLENT Autavia 2446 RINDT / JACK HEUER Letters
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE