The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Thoughts...
In Response To: Slightly Off Topic / Verona ()

All this talk of racetracks and Cal 12 Heuers reminds me of an unanswered question: How did the Verona get its name? Is there a racetrack nearby (if so, it's not so well-known) or did Heuer decide to take a break from the racing theme (Siffert and McQueen) and move toward romance (Romeo and Juliet)?

He he! I suspect there either is, or at least was a race track at one time near Verona... I'm not sure Monza is near Verona, but perhaps San Marino/Imola is? Or it could be that there was an automotive firm located nearby. We wouldn't think twice about a Modena (which I believe is Ferrari's home) or Coventry (Jaguar or Lotus)....

The Verona is one of my favorites -- with its clean lines and smaller case -- but I have always wondered about the name. Any explanations?

The Verona is very much a throw-back to the early Carrera's, in fact, it would make more sense to call this micro-rotor model a Carrera and name the Carrera Micro-Rotors something else to preserve the Original mindset of the Carrera model.

Next, we can discuss the Kentucky (horses race there) and the Pasadena (best known for the Rose Bowl -- parades and football games)!

Actually, Pasadena isn't too far from the famous "Riverside Motor Speedway" that was widely used in the 1960's and 1970's before Suburban sprawl gobbled it and the nearby Ontario Motor Speedway for strip malls and subdivisions. In fact the 1960 U.S. Grand Prix was held there...

I'm not going to go into what this looks like...

As for the Camaro, at least a car was named after it. Manhattan and Senator? Those don't sound like Automotive places to me...

I love that picture... Sort of looks like my driving style...

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox (Article index @ http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html)

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE