The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Market Comment -- From Rich on Instagram

There was a posting on Instagram yesterday that led to a small "discussion" [to the extent that there can ever be a discussion on IG comments] of the market for vintage Heuer watches.

The following comment from Rich Crosthwaite is interesting --

"if you ignore 2016 which was rampant speculation led and skewed by several literally unbelievable sales so far removed from reality that it was a mistake to count them, the market for the best stuff is not far behind then, maybe 20%. That is a similar drop to many vintage brands from the peak. The interest levels from new Heuer collectors is rising though, I get more buying advice emails on UG and Heuer each week than before from collectors of Rolex in particular."

I believe that Rich is correct on both counts. Looking back at the sales we saw in 2016 and perhaps the first half of 2017 -- we saw crazy speculation and manipulation of the market. We saw a Franken Rindt sell for around $60,000; we saw a Solunagraph in the $50,000 range . . . and the list goes on and on. Some of these were not real sales; but that's another story for another day. Some were manipulation, by people who wanted to see the prices go up for the sake of going up.

Looking at the real sales that actually occurred, the number of vintage Heuer chronographs that sold north of the $100,000 level was very small. Looking only at the public auctions, we can probably count these watches on two hands. So there never really was a market for $200,000 Autavias . . . just a couple of sales.

Turning to the situation today, I have the same observation as Rich -- daily email and DM messages from smart collectors looking at the vintage Heuer chronographs. One day at a time, we are "making vintage Heuer great again." Of course, the watches have always been great . . . it's just the market that got a little messed up. It seems that the watches are becoming cool again.

And as I observed in my year-end posting, if the market for the best vintage Heuers resides in the $50,000 to $75,000 to $100,000 range and can achieve some "depth" and predictability, that will be OK with me.

Wishing everyone a great weekend.

Jeff

Messages In This Thread

Market Comment -- From Rich on Instagram
Re: Market Comment -- From Rich on Instagram
Yes -- Makes Perfect Sense to Me
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE