The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
"Pre-Viceroy" and Maybe "Post-Viceroy"

If we want to be very literal, perhaps the "Viceroy" name would be used only for the Autavias that were actually purchased (for $88) through the promotion. But we see that there were identical watches being sold before the launch of the Viceroy promotion and after the Viceroy promotion. We have sometimes called watches "Pre-Viceroy" models, and there can also be "Post-Viceroy" models.

I prefer calling all of them "Viceroys" . . . kind of like the "Sifferts", where we have Mark 1 through Mark 6. For those who want more detail, the serial numbers may tell us exactly where the watch falls on the timeline.

Always good to have a look at this excellent posting by Mark Moss -- http://www.onthedash.com/serial-numbers-of-viceroy-autavias/

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: Thanks for your analysis of my watch :) Hope this will be
: sufficient information for the gentlemen who did questioning the
: authenticity of it. I have had no doubts at all about it being
: NOS when I bought it from the seller. Interesting to hear that
: the watch most probably is not from the actual Viceroy promotion
: as it comes with papers from Switzerland. A rather academic
: question I guess: Should the watch still be considered as a
: Viceroy? It has all the correct parts, even if the MH bezel is
: different from the Tachymeter one used in the actual promotion,
: and it is marked as a Viceroy (despite with a different font
: than normally used)? For myself it is a Viceroy and also a very
: nice one. Thank you also for the nice comments about the watch
: being a beauty :)

: Best regards,
: Hans

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE