The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Recommended Listening – Aurel Bacs (Phillips Watches)

During the quarantine / stay-at-home period, watch collectors have been deluged by podcasts / interviews / live stories / Zoom meetings. All the usual suspects are having conversations with all the usual suspects, and anyone with a phone is now able to broadcast to enthusiasts all around the world. Some days, we could spend well over 24 hours, just keeping up with the day’s new watch collecting content. And out of that 24 hours of content, you may be pressed to find 24 minutes of interesting ideas or information.

With this recent deluge of audio and video content, let me recommend this conversation with Aurel Bacs, head of Phillips Watches, conducted by Wei Koh, of Revolution Watch -- https://www.instagram.com/tv/B_DPy9dgIPn/

This is the single best thing that I have listened to during the current confinement (although I will admit that I listened during a drive to the office, lawyers being considered essential in the State of Georgia).

Aurel Bacs offers some very interesting observations on a wide range of topics:

• the state of the vintage watch market, in the COVID-19 era [as expected, he is optimistic about current conditions, as well as a strong recovery]
  • the role of the “bricks and mortar” auction houses, when enthusiasts are unable to get together to see the watches in the metal or place their bids, and how the very ancient business model of the auction houses might change
  • general advice for collectors – buy the best piece that you can possibly afford
  • the stories behind some interesting limited edition watches, produced for Phillips and others

Yes, Aurel Bacs carries the flag of vintage collectors and enthusiasts, and he is one hell of a salesman. In a favorite passage, he describes the thrill of opening an old watch and smelling the oil from the 1940s or 50s. I mean, has that ever happened to you? Yes, he’s one hell of a salesman and has shaped certain elements of our little watch collecting world.

It’s a thought-provoking interview, with one of the leaders of the world of watch collecting.

Highly recommended . . . five stars.

Please share any interesting podcasts or stories that you have enjoyed.

Jeff

Messages In This Thread

Recommended Listening – Aurel Bacs (Phillips Watches)
Re: Recommended Listening – Aurel Bacs (Phillips Watches)
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE