The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
The Great Thing About Spending Weeks on This Posting . . .

The great things about spending so much time on this damn posting is that I must have thought about every single watch that Heuer ever produced (or even thought of producing).

A couple of quick thoughts on your suggestions.

-- Regarding the Mareographes and niche Seafarers, they fell out on the "unobtainable" criterion. If you set out today, and said that you were going to check the internet, the dealers, and the social media every day trying to find one of these, it might be difficult to land a particular model by May 2022. Maybe with some luck, but with the possible exception of the 2446C Mareographe, I would take the bet against you.

-- Regarding the Skipper 2446C -- I am guilty as charged; this one probably meets my criteria. We'll see one or two per year, there will be a "buzz" about them, and they are awesome watches. Perhaps it was the huge shadow cast by the Skipperrera that put me off. Probably the same confession regarding the Autavia 2446 with the second execution (dots and dashes) dial. It's tough being the second sibling, when the first one is so damn perfect!!

-- Exotic Autavia -- Look, Shaun, with all due respect, if Morgan King thought that it was the coolest watch he had ever seen, and once owned four of them, then I rest my case. I have seen them in the metal, chased them, and they remain on my list. Anyone out there have one FS?

-- Diver 100 -- They once seemed to have the halo, perhaps like the "Orange Boys", but maybe they have fallen out of favor recently. I am always hesitant to try to "catch the falling knife", but I did buy an awesome Diver 100 recently . . . at 50 cents on the 2017 dollar. The Diver 100 comes close to meeting my "grail" criteria, with the possible exception of the "buzz" / popularity factor. Some people just cannot embrace the 11063 Autavias.

Thanks for these ideas. Having good fun with this posting.

Jeff

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: I think the list is pretty solid and it’s hard to argue with the
: choices. There are some niche Seafarers or Mareographes that
: could have made the list but I agree they are either too rare
: (Mareographes) or too niche (first exec 2444 case Seafarer), so
: probably don’t qualify.

: But, it’s boring to just agree, so I’d propose one to add: I
: think the Skipper 7764 should be on the list. It’s just a
: beautifully proportioned dial, and it’s nice to have one grail
: representing the compression case Autavias (even if it is not an
: Autavia).

: Then if Jeff wants to keep to the same number of Heuer grails, I
: think I’d vote to kick the 1563 off the list. But maybe I’m
: just resentful as I never owned one. Somehow I liked the quirky
: dial but nothing that was so exciting for me. I’d put the
: Diver 100 Autavia ahead of it as well...

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE