The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: My "Grail" Criteria and My List of 16 Grails

: So here are my criteria for "Grail" status: First, the
: model must be extremely rare. Second, the watch must have a
: strong, broad following in the community. Third, the watch must
: be attainable by the enthusiastic collector.

:

First - amazing post of a post full of meat and I agree on your grails under your premise! Thanks Jeff!

Maybe man can be different meaning about the criteria. So I would say "attainable by the enthusiastic collector" is a
wide term with component time, money and patience and don´t play a role to me for the grail status.

As we see and know watches are available in waves (or never), some waves are coming just ones in a decade and then hefty (as 4 Skipperreras
were on the market last months, many years before none or 1 per year). Never thought that! 4 of around 30 pieces! But - you´ll never know.

Another grail of me is the 2446 screw Seafarer, of course! Till now it´s the same thing, but more difficult because just 3 known. Maybe 4.
Maybe tomorrow or in 12 years are 4 for sale or 14, who knows what the inheritors will find in some drawers. Maybe never attainable but always will be a grail to me.

All in all, personally I would define a grail as a watch that

1. is not reachable easy so say yes to extremely rare
2. strong following in the community doesn´t matter to me. lets say I have to fall in love with it.
3. with an historic touch I would say: a watch that makes me start the long hunt with patience, never know if I will find the grail. (see the knight on the horse riding for years ;))
(short - it´s on my list!)

So personal taste is a essential criteria - to me! Maybe we have Heuer grails and "personal Heuer grails". that will fit the thing for me.

Which are my personal grails?

7754 Skipper
7764 Skipper
2447 Mareographe / Seafarer
2446 Rindt Yachting ;)
2446 screwcase Seafarer
2447 Carrera Yachting 1 segment
2447 Carrera Yachting 3 segment
346 1st Mareographe / Seafarer
2443 4rd Mareographe / Seafarer
1153 Carrera BN Yachting
2446c Mareographe 1st

Which I see as Heuer grails? (also personal but with "Heuer world view")

Autavia 2446 screwcase big sub 3 register
Autavia 2446 screwcase big sub 2 register
Autavia 2446 screwcase GMT
Autavia 741603 GMT
Autavia 1163 Siffert Chronomatic
Autavia 1563 “Exotic”
Autavia 1163 white OB
Autavia 2446c white dial 2 and 3 register
Autavia 1163 orange dial
Skipper 7764
2446 screwcase Seafarer
2446c Mareographe 1st

Skipper 7754 "Skipperrera” (1968)
Carrera 2447 Mareographe / Seaferer
Carrera 2447 Yachting 1 segment
Carrera 2447 Yachting 3 segment
Carrera 2447 SN
Carrera 1158 CHN 18k
Carrera 1153 BN Yachting
Carrera Dato 2547SN AF
Carrera 1153N AF signed
Carrera 1153 SN
Carrera 1553 "BN blue dial"

346 1st Mareographe / Seafarer
2443 4rd Mareographe / Seafarer

Monaco in Black-Coated Case (the “Dark Lord”) (1975)
Camaro 73643
Autograph

I´m surely miss many executions that should have grail status too for many collectors, for example I have no interest and fun with the 40s and 50s watches. Maybe we should poll that to find the "public Heuer grail status list" ;)

But isn´t it cool, that we have so many watches made by Heuer in the old days that are so ubercool?!

my 3 cents, cheers H.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE