The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: What Are Sellers Thinking?
In Response To: Re: What Are Sellers Thinking? ()

: I agree with your thoughts Jeff. Having recently started collecting
: Heuers I too have been struggling with pricing and value. Some
: experienced Heuer collectors have been really helpful in giving
: advice. The best has probably been not to rush into a purchase.
: Most of the pieces we early collectors will look for aren't very
: rare and it is worth watching the market and waiting for the
: right piece at the right time to appear. It becomes far more
: difficult when looking for the truly rare pieces. That said the
: experienced Heuer dealers add value if they identify and fully
: correct watch in great condition and we should expect to pay for
: that service. It can't be easy being a dealer in the current
: market. Good luck to Mr Adair and enjoy your Heuers!

I too have been leaning on the Heuer experts and I am happy to say they all have been willing to share share their knowledge and have been absolutely a pleasure to deal with! Agreed as well that there is comfort in knowing the watch you are chasing is correct, I am always willing to pay for that. However in this case as we have discussed at length many are willing to hold on to their pieces and pricing, which is certainly their prerogative. I'm finding the watches that are affiliated with large retailers/jewelers on the secondary market are the ones sitting. Individual sellers, collectors seem to have a better handle on the true market values of vintage Heuers now which does make more sense. I am also getting this feeling that many know they are too high but are just waiting for that buyer with plenty of money (the car/watch enthusiasts crowd). There are plenty of buyers willing to over pay simply because they can and don't want to do the homework. This whole new crowd I am seeing with money that takes pride in paying too much because of bragging rights is who they are looking for. The hunt is fun and I am looking forward making some offers to see. Thank you for the kind words...

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE