The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
But aren't they taking a loss in a different way then?

As much as I try - very hard - to see the rationale of this line of reasoning, I am still baffled by how these people (watch sellers, real estate owners and the like) are willing to take the loss "in instalments" as it were.
It may be different for outright sales, but for leases: if the flat stays vacant at the sum you want, you're missing out on the possibility to at least recoup part of the loss by renting it at a lower price.
Is it something psychological (like a kind of "then the object is devaluated forever in my mind") to such a level that it makes the owners blind to this simple maths or am I missing out on something else here?
Cheers,
Fabrizio

: Yesterday, a friend and I were talking about the market for
: rental apartments, in the major US cities, post-COVID. Lots of
: units are empty, as residents flee the cities. On the question
: of why some landlords / property owners won't just lease out
: units at lower prices, my friend said, "Some people just
: can't come to terms with the fact that they have suffered
: losses". They will keep the apartment at a rate of $3,000
: per month, rather than lowering the rent to $2,200, and taking
: the paper loss.

: So too, when we see a dealer holding on to an Autavia with the
: $25,000 price tag, when the market has taken that particular
: watch to $15,000 . . . they just won't take the loss and move
: on.

: Jeff

: ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE