The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
KAF (Kenya Air Force) Autavia research project

Scroll down to see the result!

KAF (Kenya Air Force) Autavia research project

During the last year or so I have collected information of Autavia’s issued to Kenya Air Force.

Every time I have come across an KAF Autavia I have registered the available information and when possible, reached out to whoever posted the watch. Big thanks to a lot of fellow collectors.

If you have a KAF that is not on the list or one that is missing information, please support this project my sending me the info. I will update now and then.

If you want the Excel spreadsheet and the Word document with the pictures let me know. I will send when updated with the extra info that I hope will come now.

----------------------------------------

I have tried to gather these information’s:

KAF number
• Until 1982 it was KAF followed by a 2- or 3-digit number.
• On 1 August 1982 a group of Air Force officers failed a coup, whereafter the KAF was disbanded and became part of the army as 82 Air Force. The numbering changed to 82AF followed by a 3-digit number.

Engraving size:
• I have found 4 types and named them:
• Small
• Small big – Still small, but bigger than small
• Big – KAF and the number is separated with a hyphen
• Handwritten – Big writing engraved by hand

Movement used:
• Calibre 12 - Automatic 12-hour 2 register chrono.
• Valjoux 7736 - Manuel 12-hour 3 register chrono.
• Valjoux 7740/1 - Manuel 12-hour 2 register chrono. The baseplate is stamped 7741 but it doesn’t have GMT function, so it is actually a Valjoux 7740.

Heuer reference number:
• 11630 (Calibre 12)
• 11063V (Calibre 12)
• 73663 (Valjoux 7736)
• 741603 (Valjoux 7740/1)

Crystal:
• Plexi (73663 and 741603)
• Mineral (11630 and 11063V)

Dial:
• Normal – Viceroy style with red tips and hour markings or another design as on civilian executions.
• Arabic – Shauntavia style with digits positioned radial - red hour markings.
• Arabic orange – As Arabic but orange hour markings (Villeneuve style).

Bezel:
• MH – Minute/Hour.
• Tachymeter.
• They were probably all MH when delivered to KAF.

Serial Number:
• Need more info here.

Face and case back picture:
• “Y” if the picture exists

Seller/owner:
• This information is not public as not everybody wants to reveal their names.

Link:
• Web to where I found the watch. Not public.

Enjoy
Peter. Denmark

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE