The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Carrera Values - - -

J.H.:

excellent question.

Im my view, there are two basic reference points in the Carreras -- the white on white Valjoux 72 from the early years (say, 1964) and the silver / black Cal 11/12, Reference 1153S (say, from around 1970). Of course, there are dozens of reference points, but starting from values for these, you can value many other models, by using premiums and discounts. [This sort of Relative Value Scale is what we used for the dashboard timepieces, in our Values Page relating to those timers.]

Using this approach for the manual Carreras, here are a few thoughts. I am not really a "Carrera expert", so I happily defer to those who are the experts.

• Let's start with the white-on-white Valjoux 72 (three registers) as being worth 1.0
  • First step up from there might be the black-on-black Valjoux 72 . . . seems somewhat more scarce . . . I give it a 1.1 on the relative value scale
  • Take a sizeable step up to get to the Valjoux 72 black dial with white registers (which I will call white-on-black) . . . in rough numbers, it would go at a 50% premium to the solid white guy, so it earns 1.5 on the relative value scale
  • Next up is the white-on-white Carrera Dato 12, the triple calendar, three register chronograph, with Valjoux 72C . . . I put it at 1.8
  • Next step up is the white-on-black Carrera Dato 12 . . . scarcer than the white-on-white . . . thin market, very rare . . . let's put it in the 2.0 to 2.5 range
  • Last step in the scale is the black-on-white Carrera Dato 12 . . . scarcest Carrera of all . . . I've only seen one change hands . . . well north of 3.0, heading towards 4.0

OK -- it's almost midnight, and I have only covered the three register, manual wind, Valjoux 72 Carreras.

Let me point out that this is all very approximate / rough justice. Show me any one of these that has a bad polishing job on the case and some deterioration on the dial, and we discount it 40 to 50% from the start. Give me one with a bright colorful outer track, in mint condition, with the correct bracelet, and we add to the score.

CARRERA EXPERTS - - - send me your comments, or post them here, and we can construct a Carrera Value Page for OnTheDash.

To Be Continued -- next installment will cover the two-register, manual wind Carreras and the Dato 45. I will need some help on that installment.

Jeff

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE