The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Chronosplit
In Response To: Chronosplit *PIC* ()

Hello,

Value, is a Very complicated issue to me.

One of the definitions of value is the money one buyer is willing to pay and a seller is willing to sell for. So the first question would be "what is the watch worth to your friend?". I mean that "value" is not just what a buyer wants to pay...

And this applies even more to watches like the LED/LCD chronosplit. Watches that are not traded very often, so one could not say many sellers and buyers usually agree in a specific price range.

It seems that the watch has no specific value for your friend so he would be willing to let buyers decide. If it is so, I'd suggest (like Chuck already suggested) to put it on ebay. If he just wants to sell, he may put it in a no-reserve auction, if he wants just to determine value he can put a reserve of $3K.

Anyway, I know you want to hear the bottom line - hard numbers. I'm against watch valuations by principle, but can give you some pointers.

LED/LCD Chronosplits are fetching much higher prices than LCD/LCD ones.

The LED/LCD is a special case in the Heuer line. If I remember correctly, it was the first LED/digital chronograph ever. It was produced in small quantities for a very short period of time and this adds to its desirability. What does NOT add to its desirability was the reason Heuer stopped producing it: it has reliability issues (mainly concerning the LED screen).

Most Heuer collectors are not so much interested in quartz watches like the LED/LCD Chronosplit. But there are some that do care for them. Furthermore it attracts the attention of the dedicated LED watch collectors.

In 2003 there were a couple LED/LCD chronosplits in excellent condition sold on ebay. The prices differ dramatically, because it is a very desirable watch but for relatively few people. The average price is around $1,100+. I have seen them sell for much more but I have also seen a gold tone, mint chronosplit with intergrated bracelet, original box and manual, sell for less than 1,000 euro and that was after a bidding fight in the last hours...

A real or online shop could ask over $2K for a LED/LCD Chronosplit, but it would take quite some time to sell.

I hope this was of help.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE