The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Cracked Bezels on Plastic Montes
In Response To: 'plastic' Monte Carlo *LINK* ()

YES -- most of these plastic guys that I have seen have the cracks . . . I would say, nine out of ten have these cracked bezels.

This must be a design flaw -- when they cut the notch, it weakened the material and causes a potential stress "raiser" [metallurgical term, meaning that it raises the stress level at that point] . . . so as the bezel heats and cools over the years, it will crack, even if rarely used (or maybe never used).

I do not know of a source for replacements.

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: Hi Fellow Heuer Enthusiasts,
: WOW, 3 Monte Carlo just showed up on eBay! Gosh
: Darn It, all are of the later 'plastic'
: version!!! If I am not wrong, all three
: current offerings have 'cracked' bezel. Is
: this a common problem for the 'plastic'
: version of these beautiful dash watches?
: What is the ultimate cause(s) of these
: cracks? Age? Exposure to elements?
: Careless/Abuse? Other? Is it possible to get
: replacement part (crystal, crown, bezel) for
: these later version watches? Any help or
: input will be greatly appreciated!
: YY

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE