The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Old Clunker Now Posted *LINK*
In Response To: Need Urgent Help!!! ()

Jose:

I have added some photographs of the Old Clunker, and you can get to them with the link at the very bottom of this message.

The case-back is engraved, with a 1943 date, so it is entered under that date (1943).

I will try to answer your questions, in the following posting.

The big question is: DID SOME EARLY HEUER CHRONOS HAD NO NUMBERING AT THE CASE???

The is no numbering on the exterior of my case.

Iīve checked the chrono caliber and itīs a Valjoux 72.

I have posted photos of the movement. I believe that it is Valjoux 71, but am not certain. I have not had the time to study the movement.

Everything seems to be right, EXCEPT for the MISSING case numbering that should be at the lugs space just bellow 6. There is NO numbering anywhere on the case... BUT there IS a stamped number under the case back cover (540..)!

There is no number anywhere on the exterior of my case . . . have a look at the number inside the case-back -- 57703. The finish between the lugs is brushed, but there are no numbers.

Since all previous vintage heuers (chronos and
non-chronos) Iīve seen HAD a case number at the same place, I really donīt know if thatīs 100% original... All other signs tell me that itīs original the case is s/s with the original brushed polish, the caliber has a bridge with a Heuer logo identical to another original one I own and the dial/hands are original with the proper logo.

Thanks for reading,
Jose

Jose: I hope this is helpful. The Old Clunker is one of my favorites . . . clean lines; reliable movement; and the freckles on the dial tell us that it is definitely original. You will also notice that there are several watchmakers' marks inside the case-back, telling me that it has been serviced regularly over the past 60 years.

Please let us know what you do and send some photos.

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE