The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: What's the deal with PVD?
In Response To: What's the deal with PVD? ()

: I saw all the rumour on the PVD-Monaco, and the
: exceptional price the Monaco from Stewart
: made on Ebay.
: Are all the PVD-Heuers as rare/sought after as
: the Monaco?
: Here on the corner a watchmaker has a Monza PVD
: for sale (on special request), but are these
: Monza also as special as the Monaco?

hi Hein

Stewart's Monaco made a high price for two reasons:

firstly, it was a Monaco;

secondly, it was a very rare watch (that rather over used ebay term) that was, i understand, only ever a prototype and did not reach series production.

so, if you collect Heuers, and want the full set, it would be a long time before another one turned up.

Heuer produced a number of PVD coated models, namely: the Cal 12 movement Montreals, Carreras and Autavias; the Valjoux 7750 Montreal, which was called a Passadena; the Lemania 5100 Carrera and 1000 series and a whole raft of diver's watches.

the Monza you refer to has a cheap base metal case (which is the same shape as the Carrera 1153) that has been black chrome plated.

with the recent rise in interest of the Autavia, due to Tag Heuer's reissue, the Monza is now bottom of the heap, value wise, as far as cal 12 based Heuers go. personally i love the watch but condition is even more important than with other Heuer's as the case will pit once the chrome is worn off and refurbishment never looks correct. (also i challenge anyone to find a plating company that will do black chrome).

so the short answer is no, the Monza is not as special as the Monaco

thanks

bruce

Messages In This Thread

What's the deal with PVD?
Re: What's the deal with PVD?
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE