The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Incorrrect Heuer Leonidas SA
In Response To: Probably a Typo in the Listing ()

: Hello. I have an opinion I would like to express. The watch that jollygreengiant refers to on eBay auction number 2667222659 has on the dial "Heuer Leonidas SA". It also has the very early oblong pushers which dates from the 1940's as does the gold case. As Jeff states in his response and also as referenced in the very good book "Heuer & TAG Heuer Mastering Time" by Brunner and Sich, Heuer did not merge with Leonidas until 1964. This is a fact. This book was done with the help, corroborations and records of Heuer/TAG Heuer, who gave their full support to this book.

It is very possible that the dial was refurbished/repainted/restored after 1964 and the restorer didn't have either the Heuer Logo template and just painted "Heuer Leonidas SA" on the dial knowing that they had merged. That is the story of what could have happened which would make everyone feel good and is the correct, polite and politically left wing answer. But it didn't happen this way.

Now for my opinion. I believe that the movement is going to be signed "Leonidas" and will not have the "Heuer" signature on it. I believe that it was a Leonidas Chronograph from the get go. I know that Heuer never made a dial with the signature "Heuer Leonidas SA" on it. In the 1940 Heuer and Leonidas were competitors, competing for business. They has not merged. By the way that is what SA means. It is similiar to our American symbol of Corp which is the abbreviation for Corporation. SA behind "Heuer Leonidas" would mean they were a Corporation. This didn't happen until 1964.

Now why would anyone add Heuer to a Leonidas Chronograph. Heuer is much more valuable than a Leonidas. This dial probably had the Leonidas signature. All they had to do was add Heuer and try to pass it off as a Heuer Leonidas SA, which would bring more money from a Heuer Collector. It is not an original Heuer. If by some chance the movement were to be signed "ED HEUER & CO SA", then the incorrect dial is damaging the value of this chronograph. It would be worth having the dial done correctly to match the movement signature.

Also I would like to address jollygreengiant accusations concerning Jeff and what he is drinking. First off it is none of your business what he is drinking. Secondly just because you don't agree with the bearer of truth this is no reason to cast doubt on his character and question what he is drinking. In the South that is a real insult.

By the way I drink Crown Royal if you wish to purchase me a bottle since I have kept you from making a mistake and bidding on an incorrect Heuer. By the way, the bid price is very reasonable for a 18 kt gold Leonidas even with the incorrect dial. I might even bid on it.

As alway this is my opinion and we all know what opinion are like. Charles

: I never suggested that they are selling a fake
: . . . only that there may be a
: "typo" in the listing . . . if it
: is a Carrera, it ain't from the 1950's . . .
: if it is Heuer Leonidas, it ain't from the
: 1950's . . . really quite simple.

: Jeff

:
: ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
:

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE