The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Transposting: When Paul Newman didn't wear a ...

I posted this message (And did a follow-up) over at TimeZone's Rolex Forum earlier this evening. I mentioned it to Jeff and he asked if I would transpose it over here for everyone's enjoyment. So without any further ado...

When Paul Newman didn't wear a Paul Neuman Daytona...
Howdy everyone...

I was slumming Amazon the other day and came across "Winning" starring Paul Neuman JoAnne Woodward, Robert Wagner, Richard (John-Boy) Thomas, etc... There was a new copy for sale for about $10 bucks so I picked it up.

For a number of years it was speculated that this movie was the basis for starting the Paul Newman Daytona awareness, and I believe it's been pretty well documented in other posts that this is not so, but I had never seen screen snaps from the movie showing Paul Newman's wrists. While I was watching it the other day I had a chance to get some quick Screen Snaps of the first half of the movie, and I thought I would share.

At this point in the movie, "John-Boy" is merely the son of Newman's then love interest Woodward (later in the movie they marry making JB his step son. At his point in the movie JB is wearing a non-descript Black Dial watch. BTW, until I get a larger monitor this is as large of a screen snap as I can take, sorry, this is as good as it gets...

It's pretty clear from both of these pictures that Newman is not wearing the familiar "Paul Newman" Daytona with Black Sub-Dials...

Now I'm nowhere near as up on Rolex Chronographs as any of you folks are, but this looks to me to be a Pre-Daytona Cosmograph... I know both of these are hard to see the watch but what do you think?

It also looks like this watch is most definately not on any sort of Oyster Bracelet... Any idea's folks?

Later in the movie, Richard (John-Boy) Thomas is wearing a white/silver dialed two-register Chronograph not inconsistant with a Heuer Carrera 30 or Carrera 45. There is also one additional scene that has a view of Newman's Chronograph. When I get the chance I'll take some screen snaps of them too (I got interrupted mid movie this time)...

So what do you all think?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and insights!

-- Chuck

Here is my follow-up...

Here you go... (Posted by: IQ Rolex)

http://www.iq-enterprises.com/pages/rolex_articles/newman_daytona.htm

By the way, those screen shots are GREAT !!! How are you doing them?

Well, I'm a Macintosh Driver... So I have a built in DVD-R/RW burner in my iMac 17" display, the downside is that Apple disables screen captures while playing DVD movies with their supplied DVD Player... Copyright concerns wouldn't you know. Fortunately there is a wonderful application called Video Lan Controller Media Player that isn't so disabled. So I use it to view the movie and slow it down until I get a frame that I am satisfied with. I then press "Command-Shift-4" and select a portion of the screen I wish to capture. The Mac then saves the graphic in a .pdf format file that I can then copy to GraphicConverter, a shareware application that imports about 175 graphic file formats and exports to about 45 graphic file formats. I trim the graphic as necessary, save it as a jpeg file and then upload it to my webspace.

Since I have a 17" screen (1400 x 900 pixels), I am limited to captures of that size. In the spring I plan on buying a full boat G5 with a 23" screen (which a 1920 pixel wide screen) so I should be able to get better captures then...

PeeCee Users... I'm sure there is a way to do it on a PeeCee, but I can't help you on the method or process. It's fairly easy on the Mac though. Life is better over hear anyway... No viruses and only an occasional small (under 1meg) security patch...

Hope this was helpful!

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

(Article index @ http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html)

Messages In This Thread

Transposting: When Paul Newman didn't wear a ...
Still too much time on your hands Chuck. Thnx. *NM*
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE