The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
I've talked to one collector who...

: I have heard that Heuer sent several Monacos to
: the folks producing Le Mans . . . maybe 10
: or 15 of them. It must be difficult to
: determine which he wore; when he wore them;
: etc.

I've talked to one collector who knows one of the people who was named part of Steve McQueen's estate, and supposedly retains this watch. Of course it's just what he has said and it's certainly not first hand information, but...

I've also read that Heuer (through Jack Heuer most likely) sent boxes of Heuer's for McQueen to choose from. His character was supposedly modeled after his close friend and mentor Jo Siffert. However, for some reason the Newly introduced Monaco appealed to McQueen and he choose it to wear. In the movie, the character "Claude Auroc" appears to wear a Jo Siffert Autavia, and while Jo Siffert appears on the DVD for a solid 10-12 seconds of footage, he does not have a watch visable on his wrist.

I know that Jack Heuer has been very visable this year in interviews for watch magazines, I believe that I read much of the information about Heuer's involvement in the filming of LeMans in one of these print interviews. I can also state that in the movie, the driver Erich Stalher (McQueen's main rival) is wearing a round red-dialed chronograph that almost certainly is not a Heuer (different team, different sponser?)...

If I run across the article which this information I'll post an excerpt and reference.

-- Chuck

P.S. As a postscript... I think it's fair to say that any watch perporting to be "Steve McQueen's" would have documentation from his estate, otherwise, the watch may have been present at the filming of LeMans (maybe) but probably can't be proved as being McQueen's... - C

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE