The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Suspicious ebay listing
In Response To: Re: Suspicious ebay listing ()

Ron:

This one is tough to decipher. I saw that "Jon7455" has two previous ebay transactions (selling golf clubs) and uses the photo and description from the vintageheuer.com website. To me, this suggests pirating / fraud.

You suggest that it is some sort of promotional work for the website. I'm just not sure I can figure out how this would be done. If someone bids the L500 opening price, do you think that Jon7455 would sell it for that price / cancel out the auctoin / shill it / send the person to the website? I can't figure out how this would work.

Also, I have not had any transactions with vintageheuer.com or its owner, but I have heard only good things about him and believe that he has a good reputation.

Maybe he will read this thread and comment??

I do not think that we should turn this Discussion Forum into a discussion of good guys / bad guys, as there are other places for that sort of activity. Still, you have a suspicion that is different from my suspicion, so I thought it worthwhile to reply.

Thanks for the information.

Jeff

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: Jeff,

: I think I know the answer to this warning. It's
: probably put on auction by the guy who runs
: Vintage Heuer.You can see on this website
: that his name is Jonathan P. The name of
: E-bay seller is Jon7455. Can be a
: coincidence but I do not think it is.
: This Jonathan is pretty active on E-bay. Have
: you ever noticed the name "Jissy"
: under the bidders.You see a lot of bidding
: from him on Heuers lately. Well, that name
: is related to Vintage Heuer as well. I know
: because he bid on one of my watches as well.

: So, no crookery, just somebody who tries to
: market his watch and pump up the price.

: You remember when the website was launched,
: this was reported to the forum from several
: sides. All positive reactions. This was
: evidently also a coordinated action to
: promote the website as they all came from
: the UK.

: Regards
: Ron

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE