The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Monaco Hands

Hi all

Seasons greetings to all with a few weeks until Christmas.

It's a long time between posts for me: been on holiday, got married, moved into a new house......

I'm compelled to add my thoughts on this topic, if I may.

Over the years I've seen a number of these Valjoux 7736 Monacos that have the shorter hands. I checked my picture files and I've collected pics of about 12 different 3 reg Monacos with these hands.

Sure the "larger" Autavia/early Monaco hands appear on a few of these, but the majority of the 3 register Monacos in my files have the "smaller" hands.

These may have been market specific or production batch specific or a combination of both e.g. a production run was made using these hands and the entire batch delivered to one market. Maybe.

Nonetheless, it would appear that they are potentially correct and unique to the 3 reg Monacos by virtue of the sheer numbers of them I have seen and recorded.

I have noted too that the fonts and the text weight in the Heuer shield and the "Monaco" type seen to have also evolved over the model life of the Monaco.

In summary, it would not put me off buying a particular Monaco if it had these hands.

Cheers

Stewart.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE