The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
I'm not in the NYC area so I ...

I need to repair a vintage mechanical chronograph (Landeron movement).

If anyone can recommend a honest watchmaker in NY metro area the help will be much apreciated!

I'm not in the NYC area so I can't really name anyone. However, you might want to try one of three options...

If the watch is a Heuer with a Landeron, We could probably get you in touch with Hans Schrag, although Hans is quasi retired, he might be able to assist you. Hans is in the New England region but not NYC Metro to my knowledge. If you would like to contact him, email me. I like to respect his privacy as much as possible.

I and a number of regulars have had great things to say about the work of Shane Ede in Toronto, Ontario. I sent him a pair of ailing chronographs this fall (a Certina Chronolympic 7750 and a Mistral Timing 5012) and he was able to correct the issues witth them for a very reasonable price. A couple of things about Shane... Since he is in Canada, be sure to ask him how to send the watch in order to avoid customs hassles. Second, he doesn't even own a computer, so you will have to call him and talk with him personally. Third, he's a talker, on your dime or his, he likes to talk about all sorts of topics which is kind of refreshing in a watchmaker.

What I would recommend is that you try the AWI (American Watchmakers-Clockmakers Institute) Referral Directory. I have used it in the past to find watch and clockmakers locally, and found a fellow within 8 miles of my driveway who was able to put an hour register hand back on a Flightmaster in a pinch. You will probably want to shop around with the results the website returns.

Now the guy I use in Chicago is "Watchmaker Dave", who is located about 25 miles from me in the Chicago Suburbs. Dave is very convenient for me, but I am not sure how interested in mail order work. He'll tell you straight if something is an easy fix, a medium fix, or would cost more money than the piece is probably worth.

So I don't have any NYC Metro solutions for you, but at least you have some ideas as to how to proceed.

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

(Article index @ http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html)

Non-Pasadena Pasadena Stainless 7750

<

Messages In This Thread

HELP! Please, I need to find a watchmaker in NY
THANKS!!!
I'm not in the NYC area so I ...
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE