The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Photo Hosting / Photo Posting

I thought that it might be useful for me to provide some information about the process of posting photographs to this Discussion Forum. Compared to many of our readers, I am a novice in tis area, so I will welcome additional information or corrections. Also, this will be in "plain engllsh", rather than technical language, so others may want to clarify where my plain english goes astray.

In order to post a photograph on this Discussion Forum, or just about any other place on the internet, you need to do two things --

• upload the photograph so that it is "hosted" on a server somewhere on the internet
  • post a message on this Discussion Forum that includes a link to the photograph that you have previously uploaded
Summarizing these two steps -- you need to have some "space", somewhere on the web, where you can post your photos. You can then link to those photos from other places on the web (like from this Discussion Forum). In essence, someone viewing a message that includes a photo is seeing content from two different websites -- the photo is coming from the server that is hosting the photo and the message is on the server that hosts Chronocentric.com. This is one of the small miracles of the internet and the magic of "linking". You are actually seeing a photo on an entirely different server, that could be miles or even continents away from the message itself.

In terms of finding some web space to host your photos, there are dozens or even hundreds of websites that provide this service (for free). Sometimes, your ISP (yahoo, aol, mindspring, etc.) will give you a certain amount of free webspace. You can use this space to host your photos. There are other services that are "in the business" of photo hosting, and they will provide free space, in an effort to introduce you to their premium services that will give you more space and more features. I have not done any research at all, but have heard of one called "www.photobucket.com" that provides a free hosting service. Try a google search to see what else you can find.

Once you have posted your photos to a website, inserting them into messages posted on this Discussion Forum becomes very easy. You can either use the "Optional Image URL" to add your photo to a message or you use the IMG SRC {image source) tag in HTML, and the photograph will be inserted into your message.

THE GOOD NEWS is that we may be adding a feature that will provide some webspace for our readers, so that they will be able to create their own albums of Heuers or other images. These albums could then be used as a source for posting photos. THE BAD NEWS is that we don't have this feature perfected yet, so you will need to use your own webspace for some while longer.

I hope that this is helpful. In the meanwhile, I have webspace (at www.onthedash.com) and if you send me your photos, I am happy to post them there. You can then either add them to your postings or I can post the messages for you.

I hope that other readers will post replies to this message to clarify or suggest other useful resources for photo hosting / photo posting. In particular, it would be useful to learn of other free hosting services that are good for beginners.

Thanks.

Jeff

Messages In This Thread

Photo Hosting / Photo Posting
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE