The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
THANKS -- Excellent Points
In Response To: A few comments ()

Kav:

Thanks for these excellent comments. All of them seem correct to me, and I will revise the Table to include some of this information.

Once, I thought that the 11630 Viceroy was a replacement / successor to the 1163V, but I have realized that they were produced through many of the same years . . . coexistence, as you call it. I believe that the 1163V was available only as a "promotional" item, through the Viceroy cigarette promotions. The 11630 was a similar watch, available through dealers, and the price tag was considerably higher, as shown in the Table. Perhaps that is why Heuer (and the dealers who sold it) wanted it to be considerably bigger than the 1163V . . . so that they could sell it as "more" of a watch.

A agree that the parts seems to have gotten mixed between the models -- I have assumed that this was happening primarily in the after-market, as people replaced backs, bezel inserts, etc, often with the incorrect pieces.

Thanks for the interesting reply . . . I will let you know when I revise the Table and post it OnTheDash.

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: Hi Jeff,

: The differences between automatic Auavias and
: (in this case) Viceroys is one of great
: interest and one of a couple areas I do some
: research into.

: Some points-questions: - Most of the time, the
: easiest way to spot a 11630 from a 1163 is
: the bezel. On the 11630 it is flat, a bit
: wider and it has the luminous hole in the 12
: position.

: - The variety is unbelievable. Probably after
: market modifications
: ("franken"...) play a role in
: increasing the available combinations, but
: anyway I have reason to believe that Heuer
: released their watches in a "not so
: consistent" way. I mean, not all 11630
: Viceroys are the same and not all 1163
: Viceroys are the same. The height, the
: "inner bezel" even the caseback
: can vary from watch to watch even if they
: belong to the same model line. Hey, there
: are even variations in the tachymeter bezels
: of 11630! Probably Heuer changed some
: features of their watches with time.

: - In the table, what do you mean by
: "earlier" and "later"?
: You mean an earlier version of 1136 V, or
: that the 1163 V is earlier than the 11630 V?
: Because I think both models coexisted.

: You really hit one of my hot spots with this
: post :-)

: Regards,
: Kav

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE