The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Probably No Big Deal

J.H.:

I agree with Kav's response -- it is unclear whether the lines between the different models were drawn with precision, when they were manufactured by Heuer. I am guessing that they may have used different case-backs, etc. from time to time, even within the same version of the same model.

In my view, this is not like the Daytona with a case-back marked for a Verona and hands from a Montreal. According to most folks' views, these combinations are FrankenHeuers. Yours may be genuine, as it came from Heuer; it may be a transitional piece (when components were being switched); at worst, it is a Viceroy Autavia, with a case-back from a different Viceroy Autavia . . . not so bad, in my view.

By the way -- was the one you bought listed on ebay a few days ago; no bids in the mid-$600 range? That's the one that gave rise to the comparison table.

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: i bought a frankenheuer 1163v. after doing the
: comparison. i thought i had an all original,
: except the caseback. mine has the 45 degree
: steep sides like the 11630 has. the guy i
: got it from was sure it was all original,
: and from one owner. everthing else matches
: perfectly to the 1163v except for this
: caseback with the 45 degree steep sides.
: possible it was built this way from the
: beginning? if not how does this one
: discrepancy affect it's value?

: oh and will be an excellent addition to the
: site!! good job, Jeff, Chuck, Jim, Walter,
: and anyone i missed!

: j.h.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE