The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: my auction, 100% Heuer

Hello All

This is my auction, I'm glad to have some debate to add to our knowledge of these great old watches- the Monaco.

I don't now, and indeed have never subscribed to the theory around all of the 3 reg dials- some I believe are in fact genuine (IMHO like this one) and some no doubt have been refinished.

Why do I state this?

- this watch is NOS, unsold, never opened or worn- it came from an ex-dealer having remained unsold, as one of the last Monacos he received in stock; but didn't sell. Look at this watches case, glass, movement, pushers, crown, caseback "tool no 033", engraving of serials.......how, seriously, how would this level of detail have been "faked"? Impossible!

- yes, some dials have been refinished, or repainted, or indicies left off etc etc- clearly these are non-original. Okay, we've covered these of. But, some last series manual wind Monaco's were sold with this dial (no proof though) and no doubt some potentially received a replacement dial at service therefore.

- this dial, and grey versions like it I have seen, have the same VERY hard to replicate brushed finish to the dial; up close the finish has a brushed gloss reflective finish. Also, it has the same treatment to the registers and the indicies all line up- and, I don't think the intricate detail of the waffle would be replicated (or included) by fakers......

- the hands: I believe they are original and this is why- in 2001 (at huge expense) I sent a grey with black subdials 3 register manual wind back to Heuer in Switzerland for service. It came back gorgeous, but interestingly had new hands fitted- exactly the same as these, but in silver and black (to match the dial)- see the pic. These were ex Heuer/ex factory; and near identical to these on my original watch, supporting a theory that they are hands as fitted to the late versions of the manual Monaco.

See the pic of my factory serviced Monaco enclosed, note the hands and the Heuer Shield detail too........so- open or closed fours, waffle markers etc are mere detail, not an identifier of authenticity either way.

There are lots of intricate details on these old watches, especially with dials (if anyone collects Vintage Rolex's you'll know what I mean)- we should be striving to understand the nuances rather than perpetuating sweeping generalisations.

Filip, I've been around this community for years, in fact a few of my Heuers feature in the site, so, no mate, I don't feel it's appropriate to say "using the OTD name in vain".

Abel, with respect, have you ever owned one and seen one up close? Do you base your opinion on an internet article alone?

No offence intended; love to stimulate the debate.

Cheers....

Stewart
Melbourne, Australia.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE