The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Autavia GMT / Manual Wind (Reference 741603)

Shaun:

sorry for the delay in responding.

Here is what I know about these GMTs (manual version, reference 741603):

-- yes, they are rare, but they also seem to be "white elephants"; unappreciated by most collectors, and not so highly valued. it reminds me of the phrase "don't confuse scarcity with value". there was one oriosa wristwatch (non-chrono) that I looked for every day, for three years. When I finally found one on ebay, it was mine for $100. so it was rare; but it was also not terribly valuable.

-- I seem to recall, though not with absolute certainty, that watchmakers (at least the two who have given me their views on this version of the Autavia) do not like this movement. I cannot recall the technical or design issues, but the watchmakers say that the movement was a "dog" [sorry about all the animal imagery].

-- my guess on value: that this version of the Autavia GMT is worth 70% to 80% of the value of the comparable Automatic Autavia GMT.

I hope that this is helpful. Let me know of any views to the contrary / corrections.

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: Jeff sorry for the multiple emails. I noticed
: that you recently posted the 741603 manual
: wind GMT as very rare.

: Do you have any idea of the value of these
: compared to the normal auto GMT's. I know
: someone who has one and I am sure they would
: be interested to know that its classified as
: very rare !!

: thanks again

: shaun

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE