The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Some thought's on the AS's parentage...

These are great looking chronographs. What movements power them? What is the reference number for this model?

Remember that this was during the epoch of Heuer's existance where Lemania was part owner or a signifiacnt creditor of Heuer, this was in the 2-4 years before Heuer's acquisition by TAG...

To my eyes the Audi Sport seems to use the same case as the rarely seen Lemania made and marketed Lemania 5100 chronograph:

This picture is my example, the photo's that follow are the seller's photo for the example I purchased on the behalf of David Greenspan last November and immediately sold to him upon receipt at -0- profit:

I am convinced this and the Audi Sport case are nigh identical if not actually identical. Certainly the crystal is domed on the Audi and flat mineral on the Lemania's, but otherwise the shape and size is consistant.

As for the movement, by this time while the Lemania 1341 was still in the Lemania arsenal, it was largely phased out in favor of the 5100, but the 1341 is a possibility for the Audi Sport. The two other possibilities are the aforementioned 5100, and the very similar 5012 movement which is a 5100 without the 25 hour dial at 12 o'clock, and the day wheel. I own a Nivada (and Lemania and Heuer also sold an Identical model as well) which looks identical to the one pictured in this Heuer Product data card:

yeah, the one on the right... Now my Nivada, which uses the same case and hands as this Heuer, has a 5012. But a manufacturer could simply purchase the 5100, remove the 24-Hour mechanism (or the pinion for the 24-hand) and pair it with a two-register dial.

So I would believe it's most likely a 5012 or a 5100 movement in these Audi Sport Heuer's, but there is a small chance it could be an older 1341 movement...

So, to return full circle to Jeff's query... I really don't know the case reference number, that's something that perhaps Charles and/or David can answer via an examination of his example... But I think we might have a slightly better insight on this model's parentage now...

Good Hunting and a really nifty watch you guys! I need one of these to go with my Certina Audi Quattro Chronograph and my IWC and Orfina Porsche Design Chronographs!

Cheers!

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

(Article index @ http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html)

Non-Pasadena Pasadena Stainless 7750

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE