The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Partly Psychological / Partly Economics
In Response To: Philosophical question ()

Kav:

Excellent subject that deserves a more complete response, but here is my initial reaction.

To some extent this is psychological -- I look at the watch on my wrist, and if it has a refinished dial or an improper replacement part, it bothers me. It just doesn't look right; it is not as satisfying as seeing something that I know is "right" or "correct" or "genuine". This is my own preference; my own aesthetic; some might say my own "hang up". I do not have a museum approach -- I only collect pieces that I will wear, and I am telling you my reaction when I wear them. If it's not genuine, I don't enjoy wearing it.

Turning from the psychological to the economic, I beleive that there is a much stronger market for the real / genuine / original pieces. If I buy something with a refinished dial or a replacement bezel, and pay 60% of what the original would cost, the market to resell it (if I change my mind) is much thinner / weaker. Anyone buying these pieces is dealing in a smaller, less efficient market, and these pieces will often attract few offers. So if you change your mind, you may be stuck. An original piece, on the other hand, will usually be sold into a strong market, with far more participants.

That's just my perspective, but I have never been happy with a refinished dial or replacement parts. I wouldn't say that one is "better", but I know with certainty which ones I want to wear and own.

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: Is an "authentic", "all
: original" Heuer a better watch than a
: Heuer with a few non original parts (for
: example with a replaced bezel - see previous
: thread) ? Why?

: If you think the meaning of "better"
: is to relative, then please provide your
: definition of "better" - what YOU
: mean by "better".

: My view is that an all original Heuer is not by
: definition a better watch than a Heuer with
: a few non original parts.

: Some of us may have a "museum"
: approach to collecting, and I understand why
: such a collector can have originality as a
: highest priority, but I also believe that
: many watch enthusiasts (the participants of
: this forum excluded) are looking for 100%
: originality without exactly knowing why.

: Your opinion?

Messages In This Thread

Philosophical question
Partly Psychological / Partly Economics
Psychology
Re: I doubt its psychology
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE