The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
The 773x's have a couple of knocks against them...
In Response To: well thought out Chuck, but... ()

well thought out Chuck, but... while i do like that dial, i don't like it in that case.

Nothing wrong with that.

doesn't look bad per say, but i've grown used to the autavia style case with that style dial.

There are probably three different reactions when one sees something that is out of context... "I always wondered what would X look like with a Y" and:
  1. I love it, I wish they had made them like that originally...
  2. Blearch! Man! am I glad they never actually made any like that...
  3. Eh, it looks ok, but nothing worth getting excited about, I could take or leave it.

i'm kinda a stickler for originals, or maybe i should say the exact match or as close to exact to their heuer cousins.

Well, I can see that... I've seen similar things over on the Speedmaster end of things... Things like this:

Which is the marriage of a Speedmaster Mark II Professional dial in a Speedmaster Moonwatch case. To the best of my ability to uncover the facts, Omega never made a moonwatch with such a colorful dial for the public. But I've seen a number of them on Japanese (primarily) websites.

Now, I think this is an interesting look, and I do happen to own a spare dial for a Red/Orange Mark II... I've posted topics in the past over on TZ's Omega Forum discussing the ethics and morals of customizing vintage watches, and the consensus is that as long as the "donor" watch isn't rare or historically significant in some way, and as long as the watch isn't misrepresented if it's sold there is no real issue.

Perhaps someday, I'll find a used Speedmaster for a low enough price (perhaps with a damaged dial, but otherwise in good shape) and make a custom piece. But I haven't yet...

if it's questionable, i'd rather avoid it regardless of price.

And I can see that too. Nothing wrong with staying squarely in one camp or another.

thanks for your input, curious though why 7733,7734 aren't on the top of your like list?

The 773x (and 774x) Valjoux were economy chronograph movements, while they seem to work well enough (I own 3 or 4), I would prefer a Valjoux 72 or 7750 if going with a Valjoux movement.

Also the 7733 and 7734 are two-register movements. I generally do not care for two register movements, I prefer 3 register, with these exceptions:

1. I collect bullhead chronographs... Very few (I've only seen two or three brands) Bullhead chronographs feature 3-register movements, I own two of the brands... Benetone and Charles Nicholet which both feature 7750's. But most other Bullhead chronographs are two-register chronographs and with the exception of Bulova and Breitling micro-rotor movement Bullheads, most are only 30-Minute Chronographs.
  2. I really don't care for 30-Minute Chronographs... In fact I call them, somewhat derisively "Half a Chronograph", but that's the way I feel about them. While I'd rather not part with one register, I can live without the small second register better than the hour register in most instances.

Thus the 7733 and 7734 have a couple of significant knocks against it, in my book.

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

(Article index @ http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html)

Non-Pasadena Pasadena Stainless 7750

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE