The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Question from a Reader -- Early Autavia Chrono

I have received the following photo and series of questions from a reader. Tonight, I am posting the photograph and the reader's questions; I hope to post some answers tomorrow, but thought that other readers might be able to provide some information or advice sooner.

Thanks,

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

[The watch is from 1962 and] has a screw-back case and appears to have the 1st execution dial with the larger registers. [Someone] had some work done on it many years ago and I now wonder after seeing your pictures about the following:

1. Shouldn't the hands be of the dauphine style?

2. Could the winder be a replacement as it seems too large compared with the pictures and catalogue images in your sit? It bears the Heuer logo on its end face, is 7 mm diameter and 4 mm high. Or is that correct for this model?

3. The outer diameter (4.4 mm) of the pushers is not cylindrical but has six small axial indentations. Are those the right ones for this model? I think they should be smaller and without the axial indentations.

4. The bracelet is an Omega one. Did this watch originally have a leather arm band or a metal bracelet? Is either still obtainable as an original or remake?

5. Can very worn bezels be refurbished or are they still available as replacement parts?

6. Is this watch one of the rarer versions? Do you consider a complete overhaul worthwhile? I fear it may be rather expensive!

I would be truly grateful if you could answer these questions for me. I am considering having the watch reconditioned (subject to cost) and would like some technical info for that purpose. If the above questionable parts are indeed non-contemporary, as I suspect, would I be correct in
thinking that an expensive overhaul would only be justified if the correct parts can be obtained, new or second-hand?

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE