The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
We All Seem to Like the Idea

ALL:

Chuck and I spoke this morning, and talked about some ways to design this sort of project. At its simplest, it is a list of major models (and major variations) and estimates of how often they appear in a year, with no data about condition or value. This is very easy, based on seat-of-the-pants estimates, and we could have some fun launching it through the forum. For example, we name 10 models, and get our readers to post their estimates. Someone does some rough tabulation, aome massaging, some simple HTML, and there we have it -- a nice simple list.

at the other end of the spectrum, we could hire a few interns, have them monitor ebay and the dealer sites, and construct a database of scarcity and price ranges, based on some initial entries and subsequent actual transactions. of course, all this then gets integrated into the reference tables.

the question is where we should draw the line and who will coordinate the effort. in simplest terms, does the list / table / chart / database have two columns (model and frequency) or many columns and rows (model, variation, frequency, price range, condition, date of transactions, etc.).

I have heard people around my office say "don't let perfection stand in the way of excellence" or "don't let great stand in the way of good", and this is what we need to consider. what can we put together that gives us the most "bang for our buck" / usefulness for our effort??

Thanks for all the input. Further thoughts would also be appreciated.

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: hi jeff

: whilst the data would be fantastic to have and
: use, it is a massive job unless someone can
: come up with an automated system (though how
: do you account for the price vs condition
: when your working from digital snap taken
: through the bottom of a coke bottle is one
: of the many questions)

: i quite like the idea of people expressing
: unsubstantiated views about rarity, value,
: worth etc as it adds a little spice to the
: message forum and creates some interesting
: discussions.

: just my pennies worth

: bruce

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE