The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Relative Scarcity / Relative Value / Etc.

:
: Having watched as an Autavia GMT went for over
: $2300 on ebay last night, I am convinced
: that maintaining any sort of pricing
: information or database will be virtually
: impossible. (I had swapped e-mails with the
: seller, and given him an estimate with $1200
: at the top of the range.) When two guys want
: to win an auction, regardless of cost, it is
: difficult to reach conclusions about how
: this affects "market values".

Jeff, congratulations for having the guts and honesty to tell us about it. This is one example why I'm generally against price estimations.

On the other hand, I do like that "price discussions" are freely allowed in this forum. You see there is a trend in many forums to not allow talk about street prices ("only via email"). IMO this is basically because some forum owners (want to) do some sort of PR for the brand their forum is about and don't want to expose the big difference between SRP and street prices.

My mood is a bit better than yesterday.
Your post helped. You have answered many of my concerns already.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE