The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Relative Scarcity / Relative Value / Etc.

i've read and considered everyone's thoughts especially Kav's. even though i thought initially that the values were a good idea, i think now that i was wrong. the values would bring more negatives than positives.

if you think about it, a new seller with his father's monaco or whatnot might stumble upon the otd site, and instead of being happy selling it for $2000.00usd might start off at $2000.00usd. this could lead to the end of bargin hunting, potentially.

yet i still see no problems with the "heuer radar idea." of course the numbers would never be truly accurate, but even near the ballpark numbers couldn't hurt anything. let's be honest, a person who knows what they have will sell it for either market value or their own perceived value. a newcomer most likely will not pay that much attention to the fine details that makes a watch scarce or rare, and if they do they will have already figured out how to read posts, ask questions and watch ebay auctions and search dealer sites to get a value to sell it for. so really just posting a number shouldn't in all reality upset the market, but maybe i'm wrong? if i'm wrong the project can always be dumped.

if it's not too much work and effort, i'd say it's worth a shot. if it involves hours a day to keep on par, i'd say scrap the idea. it really boils down to who is going to do the work, and if they/them feel the results are worth the effort involved.

j.h.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE