The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
MOAT: French Made Chronographs Section...

Posted By: Brian C. Date: 6/25/03 11:34 GMT

Heuer and the French Connection . . .

I recently joined the Heuer "club" with my first purchase of a diver from 1980 or so. I'm really pleased with the purchase, and I am sure it is just the first of many for the collection (already starting to look at those great 3H Bund Chronos).

"Abandon all hope Ye who enter here..." is something that should probably be mentioned at this point. Collecting watches can be a very addictive thing. You have been warned...

I have a question related to the diver that some on this forum might be able to help me answer. This model notes that it is "Made in France" on the dial, and the rotor may be signed "Monnin" (not sure until my watchmaker opens the watch). The individual who sold the watch to me has an identical one that has this designation on the rotor.

That wouldn't surprise me...

Does anyone have any information on the source of these watches (e.g. were they made in France for the French market?; or did Heuer have, at one time, production facilities there that served Europe)? Any insights or information would be greatly appreciated.

As for the story of these watches, you'll have to wait for Bruce or Jeff to chime in, because I don't know much about them, other than I did the HTML for a table of them for the MOAT (Mother Of All Tables) and you can link to the French Made Chronographs Section here...

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox (Article index @ http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html)

Messages In This Thread

Heuer and the French Connection . . .
MOAT: French Made Chronographs Section...
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE