The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
It's not a c.1863... That's an Omega number…
In Response To: Carrera Re Edition *LINK* ()

Hello,

I wanted to know if anyone can verify that all of the movements in the Carrera 64' Re edition watches all have the Lemaina 1863 Movement?

No, that's not correct...

First off the 1863 isn't a Lemania number, it's Omega's number for their "polished and blueprinted" (commonly called "Decorated") display back edition of the Lemania 1873 movement. Omega's number for the more (lunar) pedestrian model is the c.1861.

Secondly, the movement used by TAG-Heuer isn't decorated like the Omega c.1863, but it's nigh identical to the c.1861 with the main difference being the engraving of "HEUER" proudly on the bridge.

Don't get used to seeing the Old "Heuer" logo on too many bridges though. Swatch Group no longer allows Lemania movements to be sold in production quantities to non-Swatch firms, and TAG has put TAG-Heuer on their newer classic models.

I recently saw a different backing than any other other models I have seen. Do not know if this is just a later run and they simply changed the backing or did they change anything else?

Thanks,Mark

Not only is this back nigh identical to the back on my Silver Dial Re-Edition Carrera, the only difference between the two is in the serial number which is within 140 units of each other.

Incidentally, the Buy It Now price is not unreasonable for this example, considering it has boxes and papers, and a spare strap and buckle. You might be wise and save a few bucks trying to ride out the auction and getting it at a lower price, or you may be pennywise and someone else might snag it away from you with a BIN. There is another example (which also appears to be correct) on eBay currently being offered from a seller in the Edinburgh Scotland area, which is currently high bid at a lower price. And it's serial number is within 100 of the example you pointed out. The boxes and papers are of a different color but I wouldn't worry about that, it's probably correct as well (I'd be surprised if TAG didn't issue it with either color boxes and papers).

This model is the class of the Classics series. It is the closest in spirit and actuality to the original model it represents of all of the Classic models past and present. It is no longer being offered (because TAG-Heuer can't get the movements from Swatch/Lemania), and they didn't make many of them, perhaps 10,000, perhaps even fewer. Of the many firms "Homage" pieces offered in the past 5 years or so, this model (along with it's Black Dial twin) is the closest to their originals. This model Carrera is a perfect all around watch that works well in casual, work and full dress settings. My advice, if you want one or think you'll want one, don't wait too long looking for a bargain.

Hope this helps, Good Hunting!

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

(Article index @ http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html)

Non-Pasadena Pasadena Stainless 7750

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE