The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
I Have never Explored the Histograms

Jim:

I skimmed over the histogram section in the Owners Manual, for a minute or two, but have never learned how to use the histograms. Is this worthwhile?? essential for accurate white balance??

On the shot of the Siffert, I did play with the white balance (rather than using automatic), and selected from one of the choices on the camera. I notice that the Macro Cool-Light (SL-1) will work on the Nikon 995. It's a bit tricky on the crystals, as the light ring around the lens actually consists of eight small, bright lights. Thus the cropping to get rid of the hot spots.

The Macro Light will not be the magic solution for shooting watches, but it will be useful for some shots.

Jeff

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: It appears that your camera got the white
: balance correct so that the colors would
: appear right. The exposure seems to be good
: even with the highlights on the right side.
: Did you review the histogram to get the
: exposure right?

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE