The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
I thought this one would be easy but no!

Thought these two pics would be interesting side by side. So the question is what is the correct color for the hour subdial at 6 o'clock: red or black?

Well, it's certainly not Red...

The good news is that I own 3 510.503's... Two Heuer Date models, and a Tourneau Day-Date model.

The bad news is that my Heuer examples come down squarely on both sides of this issue. One has a Black 6 o'clock sub-dial hand, the other has the Day-Glo Orange hand (that matches the Chronograph Minute and Second hand. The Tourneau Day-Date has a Black hand.

I would be comfortable saying that they came both ways, although having all of the chronograph related hands being the same Day-Glow color, and the time keeping hands (Hour, Minute, Small Second, and 24-Hour dial) be black.

It looks like Heuer made them both ways.

These models are by far my most favorite Heuers. Great case, very heavy and large. Great finish. Excellent movement. Sturdy crystal. I also like the 5100 in the Porsche Design and Sinn models as well. Maybe a group pic is in order to really show off the geneology.

I keep on telling Mr. Stein that he needs to pick up a "Pasadena Case" Heuer or TAG-Heuer for his collection. Since he picked up a Lemania 5100 Carrera during his trip to the City of Brotherly Love, perhaps a Valjoux 7750 Pasadena or non-Pasadena is more appropriate since I don't believe he owns a 7750.

I don't think I'd shock anyone by saying that the 5100 is one of my all time favorite movements. It's very hard to think of a difficult to read watch that sports one of these complex motors. I own a bunch of different firms examples of the 5100... Omega, Heuer/TAG-Heuer, Sinn, Tutima, Tourneau, Orfina Porsche Design, Leaderer among others. There really isn't a bad model in the lot, but I think the Heuer's and the Orfina Porsche Design's have the nicest styling overall. Both the 510.5xx Heuer's and the Orfina Porsche Designs are so well styled that you look at one and say "there is no way to top this look" and then you put down that example and pull up one of the other brand and you say "but this one is every bit as good!"...

It's a great look, it's a shame that Swatch Group is killing the 5100 and that Heuer hasn't seen fit to bring back the case style. I think that a black dial stainless 7750 model (as in my footer picture) would be a best seller if TAG were to produce one with an "Classics line entry level" price (Say $1,000~$1,400 M.S.R.P.)...

Thanks for sharing Jim!

-- Chuck

P.S.... I need a Day-Date Heuer 510.503 if anyone has a line on one.

Chuck Maddox

(Article index @ http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html)

Non-Pasadena Pasadena Stainless 7750

Chronographs, like most finer things in life, only get better with time…

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE