The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Values and benchmark Heuers (rambling)

I'm reading with interest the postings on the Heuer values and the future of the marketplace.

I agree with most arguements and concur (and lament) that there is some way to go with Heuer values (lament because prices are up!)

Here's a parrallel case study:

I've a 356 Porsche which too has a vibrant worldwide collecting community. Not too long ago friends of the marque traded and swapped old 356 parts and cars in the spirit of community with values rarely coming into the equation- someone just swapped a part or picked a nominal value and a deal was done.

Now times have changed and everything has a definable VALUE, often sustantial for the rarer 356 parts and cars.

I see similarities here, for only a few years ago a core group of enthusiasts (hi to you all) were buying and selling Heuers and parts amongst themselves (fortunately this still does go on- thanks for retaining this spirit guys) whilst now we see the emrgence of a surge in interest in Heuer and a corresponding price increase: simple demand vs supply.

Also, most collectors own not one but multiple Heuers and the collecting bug has really hit us all!

So, when a Siffert Heuer brings big money I'm not surprised as this is one of a few bechmark Heuers that are always going to command a premium, regardless of condition (a little like anything 356 Carrera related !) Here's my list of becnhmark Heuers in no particularr order:

TIER 1:
Siffert Autavia
Carrera Dato 12
Carrera 3 reg manual with contrasting dial colour (e.g. black, white registers or silver with black registers)
McQueen Monaco
PVD case Monaco
Rallyemaster set: 3,6,9,12 Mastertime mounted with a 3 button Monte-Carlo

TIER 2:
Regazzoni Blue face Silverstone
Any early 1st or 2nd series Autavia 3 reg
Chronosplit LED/LCD (when its working !)
SuperAutavia dash clock
Reference 11.404 hand held pocket chronograph stopwatch
Carrera Dato 45 (I like these)

CONTROVERSIAL OMISSIONS:
Autavia GMT's
Pre 1960s Heuer Chronos (what is original and what is not??)

My list for your dissection. What have I missed?

So as Tier one Heuers come up for sale, it seems pricing will reflect the rare opportunity of purchase.

Regards & cheers to finding "bargains"

Stewart.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE