The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
You think $30k~36k is steep? How about $300k?

This one went for $31,000 $35,650 with the premium. Makes $13,000 sound like a bargain.

Actually, $31,000, $36,650 with the premium, isn't as bad as you might think...

Lot 309, SFr 443,500 ($338,258), a magnificent Rolex Oyster 'Daytona', Ref 6265, with red dial and steel bezel and black subsidiary dials and chronograph seconds scale, tachometer and stainless steel Oyster bracelet, accompanied by a Rolex certificate of authenticity.

Lot 308, SFr 416,000 ($317,283), a magnificent Rolex Oyster 'Daytona', Ref 6265, case No 6047425, with red dial and white subsidiary dials (consequently immediately renamed the 'Spirit of Japan' by all the collectors), chronograph seconds scale, tachometer and stainless steel Oyster bracelet. This was the first time in the world that such watches have been presented for sale.

When people ask if I have any Rolex, I usually answer, “For the price of one new Daytona in Stainless I could buy three new Moonwatches from an authorized dealer. For the price of a nice 1970's non-Paul Newman Daytona, I could buy 12-16 1970's Speedmaster Moonwatches. Would I like to own a vintage 1960's or 1970's Daytona or Pre-Daytona Cosmograph? You bet... But I'm going to get the Heuer's and Speedmasters I want, then, MAYBE, I'll think about one of the Rolexes”.

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

(Article index @ http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html)

Non-Pasadena Pasadena Stainless 7750

Chronographs, like most finer things in life, only get better with time…

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE