The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Saw This One Around a Year Ago

I first saw this dial (this very sample) around one year ago . . . My guess is that it was made for Heuer, but never actually used in a chronograph produced by Heuer. As is so often the case, could have been produced as a sample or prototype, etc.

Someone could probably build it into a nice looking watch, then we would have the question, "What is it?". My answer: a sample or prototype dial, being housed in a put together watch.

I don't want to be dismissive, but my own preference is for the complete watches, as they left the factory (or the prototyping shop), 40 years ago . . . and not put together last week. Others may have other preferences and attribute value in other ways.

My favorite Chronomatics are shown below.

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++

: I have been sent this picture from a collector who was after my
: opinion as to its authenticity...

: It comes from a source i would trust, but not being a Carrera
: expert i thought i'd throw it open to the forum to
: debate...perhaps it's a 1158 variant?

: However the script sizing looks very similar to that on the 1163MH
: chronomatic and appears consistent with expectations, albeit a
: different sizing to the 1153 chronomatic (but then so to is the
: script different between the 1163T and MH chronomatic dials, re
: sizing).

: Thoiughts and feedback very welcome!

: Cheers

: Rich
: www.heuermonaco.co.uk

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE