The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Marks Masterthesis
In Response To: Re: Marks Masterthesis ()

: I did not mean Chronomatic and Heuer but Carrera and
: Chronomtic ? Are these parallel ?

Good spot. Answer is, no they aren't quite parallel:

I took a look at the 1153 N Chronomatic dials too and interestingly they don't quite get it right there either, it's offset to the left quite a bit:

The ex-Arno example shows the same offset as Paul's above. Reassuring, as they should have been using the same template on all the N dials.

: Yes carrera chronomatics are scarce only five, case numbers
: are more widespread I think ? Can you confirm ? 147 and 148 ?
: Case supply of Carreras was limited at the beginning !

Nope, they're all in the 147s. We're already getting "Automatic Chronograph" dials in the 147s, so I wouldn't expect a Chronomatic dial in a 148 case. There is some evidence of mixing and matching though, with some Automatic Chronographs having lower serials than some Chronomatics, so it wouldn't be entirely out of the question. All down to the assembly process I imagine, with Heuer working from a batch of cases by what comes to hand rather than in strict serial order. I'd wager a period Seiko would be in exact order but most of the Swiss manufacturers take them as they come - most of the progressive manufacturing techniques of the 60s and 70s originated in Japan.

Early 1153 cases run all the way through to the 150s - by the time we get to 151, we're into manual Carrera cases. Those run through into the 156s, then the Monacos start with 157s. Looks to be a clear example of batched allocation of serials, rather than the "later" serials actually being manufactured later. Interestingly, the manual Carrera case serials at this point do show grouping by movement - not mechanically necessary but probably easier for the people putting them together. Autavias are 141 through 146.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE