The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Read the article... Some thoughts...

: Folks, go to your local newstand and get the
: August issue of WatchTime magazine. There is
: a multi page article on the newest Carrera
: model. Good article about the history of the
: model and the details of this model compared
: to the 1995 release model. This should just
: add more fuel to the fire of Carrera
: collecting.

Read the article... Some thoughts... I was pleasantly surprised that the new model tested to be well within COSC specs (half the maximum allowable). Which probably isn't all that out of the ordinary for a modern movement. I wish they had spent more time explaining why they knocked points off on their final evaluation scorecard (saying nothing but good things about the strap/clasp and then giving 9 of 10 points deserves some explanation), as does this "Bezel Fit" problem they mentioned several times, but never elaborated upon for the benefit of the reader. I think that a little too much time was spent on the virtues of the ETA 2894 based movement, when it's Dubois-Depraz module has notable issues. I also wish there was more of an explanation as to why this movement was chosen instead of the Cal. 36 (El-Primero based) which is used in the all new "Monza" "Classic" model.

As much as I have an open mind about TAG-Heuer compared to the vast majority of vintage Heuer collectors, the idea of utilizing the high-beat, high-quality, El-Primero movement in a case that's a homage to no "classic" Heuer model, when you put an ETA-DD in your flagship Classic model is something I can't get my mind around.

The article was well written, reasonably complete and only had a couple of minor factual errors (the Carrera name did survive the TAG-Heuer ownership transition, but just bearly as it was maintained in TAG-Heuer Catalogs until existing stock was sold (not the end of the 1970's as the article reported), etc.

I'm not sure it's worth buying the magazine for, but I enjoyed reading it at Border's while enjoying a Hot Cocoa.

-- Chuck

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE