The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Some Quick Reactions to the Heuer Price Guide

Rich:

Over the course of the day, I have visited the Price Guide a few times, and must say that it is an impressive piece of work. The prices generally seem accurate to me, within the definitions that you provide. Amazing to present so much information, with no big "holes" that I can detect.

One thing did strike me as (a little) strange, however: You include the "six price" array of data for some very rare watches . . . the Carrera 2447 Yachting, the Autavia 2446 GMT (screw-back, not the "C" snap-back) and the Belgian Military Carrera, for example. While I understand that you are able to estimate and extrapolate, it seems to me that this data is inherently different than the data that is based on actual sales of multiple watches. We have probably seem three or four Autavia 2446 GMTs over the past decade (and fewer of the Yachting Carreras); I must assume that the six prices for each of these watches are estimates based on some limited number of actual sales. Still, it might be useful to note where you are relying more on extrapolation than actual transactions. Who knows . . . maybe you have seen more of these being sold. It would be interesting to know the frequency with which you see these. [Yes, a notation of Samples Per Year (SPY) by each model might be informative].

This is a small point regarding a fantastic body of work. I will be interested to have your views on the subject.

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++

: Congratulations to Rich Crosthwaite on the publication of his
: new website, http://www.heuerpriceguide.com/

: The Price Guide covers "key vintage Heuer chronographs"
: from the 1960s, 70s and 80s, including a comprehensive group of
: Autavias, Carreras and Monacos and other "notable"
: Heuer chronographs (Silverstones, Camaro, Monza, Montreal,
: Daytona, AMI, etc.). The Price Guide shows six prices for each
: watch or accessory, being prices (a) from dealers or in private
: sales and (b) in mint, good or average condition. The Price
: Guide also covers the "Accessories" -- boxes,
: bracelets, straps and buckles, and even the "papers".

: Assembling this sort of Price Guide is a huge undertaking, and Rich
: also announces that he will be updating the Price Guide on a
: quarterly basis,

: So have a look at the new website; share your thoughts with Rich or
: post your reactions here. I believe that this is another
: important step in the development of the market for vintage
: Heuer chronographs, and applaud Rich for this effort.

: Jeff

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE