The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Someone using one of my pics...

: Alistair, Hi John,

: This use of someone else' photo without credit is probably
: unethical but, unfortunately, probably not illegal. I couldn't agree more..... My background is I was a a Special effects editor in film...

As a
: photographer, people "re-use" my photos all of the
: time. I used to get mad and make a big stink about it but now
: the only time I react is if they are using a photo of mint for
: an obvious commercial purpose.

Yes I hear you.. having been doing this for more years than I can remember...and that includes seeing pro photogs like you making a much bigger deal about things than this....when the web started making its inpression

Fair use laws in the US at least
: generally allow people to use "re-use" copyrighted
: photos for non-profit educational uses, especially as far as it
: concerns low res photos on the internet.

Non profit is absolutely fine.. maybe even profit too coz what can you do..? But seeing someone else s watermark is irritating... that's all.... if the guy says thanks to Alistair at ATG or even Alistair from OTD then that's fine...you may not know me but I spent a lot of time contributing to OTD back in the day and would consider the old folk here pals and them using my pics would be an honour but I don't like picture collectors....

I don't like it....in
: fact I hate it....but it is what it is for now and in my opinion
: the protection of rights on intellectual property will probably
: only get weaker.

Sure I hear you... just tell the guy to credit or not use... doesn't have to be my company just my forename will do.... what is the guys name who'se used it? Maybe he could get a mention.....

: JohnCote Cheers Alistair

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE